Executive education program in English
Date: October 22-27, 2020
Tuition: 5,000 € (+VAT)
Young Physician Leaders develops future leaders from an international group of young, promising healthcare and public health professionals. The program was launched in 2011 by the InterAcademy Partnership for Health (IAP, formerly the InterAcademy Medical Panel) and now brings together a network of more than 130 alumni.
During the program, participants explore themes concerning the sources of leadership, the different styles a leader needs in order to collaborate with superiors, peers, and followers, and the complex processes of decision making and organizational change. Participants will present a session on the concerns of young physicians at the World Health Summit, which will be taking place just steps away from the ESMT Berlin Campus. They will also have the opportunity to visit some of Berlin’s leading scientific institutions and meet senior leaders from the global health sector. Most importantly, participants of the program will network, learn from each other, and join the worldwide network of Young Physician Leaders alumni.
Since 2016, the program is being run as a collaboration between IAP for Health, ESMT Berlin and the World Health Summit.
Who should attend the program?
Top professionals under the age of 40 from the global health sector: clinicians, educators, policy advocates engaged with the public on critical health issues, and emerging healthcare and public health leaders from the non-profit and private sectors.
Examples of organizations whose employees participated in the Young Physicians Leaders program:
- Ariel Glaser Pediatric AIDS Healthcare
- Bayer AG
- Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Medical School, University of Tampere
- Ghana Health Service
- Hospital de Pediatria Centro Medico, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social
- N.N. Petrov Research Institute of Oncology
- Oxford University, Nuffield Department of Population Health
- Philips Connected Care
- Siemens Healthineers
- WHO collaborating Centre for Maternal and Child Health
- Greater awareness of leadership patterns and challenges as well as strengthening their own leadership style and understanding cultural differences in leadership behaviors
- Gaining a deeper understanding of organizations acting in the global health sector and how they should interact, especially the potential for public-private partnerships
- Active participation in design and presentation of a dedicated workshop at the world’s most prominent forum for addressing global health issues, the World Health Summit
- Solid network of global contacts
- Understanding the organizational interdependencies leading to strategic action
- Identifying and practicing leadership styles adapted to distinct situations in the global health sector
- Effective decision making as a key leadership skill
- Experiencing diversity in the global health sector
- Cooperation and teamwork across silos
“The leadership workshops were really terrific. The ESMT Berlin's facilitation was truly excellent and pushed my thinking to an advanced level, especially on creating and managing teams. I really enjoyed the sessions on leadership styles, team development, and peer mentoring. I was pleased we were left to create our “leadership” session at the World Health Summit.”
Lloyd Nash, General and Acute Care Physician & Founder Global Ideas